Thursday, July 16, 2009

'Signs' - Night Shyamalan ....



Few days back, taking my usual walk at night on the terrace of my house, the day Chennai saw lightning and showers was indeed a great night, just catching up with my sister about our old days together, discussing everything on earth. Our topic covered gossips, relationships, music, Movies and also about famous Hollywood Movie 'Signs'. Directed and Written by Night Shaymalan starring Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix in the lead.

The movie conveyed a very sabbatical message about life, "that nothing happens by chance, and that everything that happens has a reason to connect in the future'

At this time of my life there is been quite a lot of changes happening both in my personal life and career wise. Getting back to my old acquaintances, is what has brought me to pen few thoughts in this blog.

Ms. Dwaraka who just dumped me into IIT - Madigras to sell Greeting cards for Vidyasagar saw my marketing acumen 10 yrs ago. She was the PRO of the Special School which was then called Spastics Society of India. A Fresher from college, had no clue what sales and marketing was all about, but my attitude to collect funds for the special children's need taught me Marketing skills. I never knew selling cards some day would make me an advertising Manager for a Newspaper.

My first step into Mylapore Times, and my first learning was to design an advt for a client is a nighmare even now. Mr. Vincent- editor, just made me sit next to him when he was handling a client, and next moment I was asked to handle 'Surya Sweets' Advt which had to appear on the front page. I quitely sneaked to Raji,my oldest friend briefed me on paper layout, advt design, Sizes. I was dumped into the process and servicing a sweat meat shop Advt this was a strip advt 5 colu with 7cm on the front page, gave me nervous breakdown.

Numbers make me dizzy, would always walk with a calculator and scale. Took notes from the client and co-ordinating with my technical team and taking approvals was a big process then. On the day of the the print, I forgot to add on the telephone nos of the client, and had to make an addition just one hour before it went to print.

Next day, first thing in the morning my Techie Man took lessons on Photoshop, coreldraw, with a indirect thought to convey that doing a layout is like building a dream house and correction in the last moment is like unfolding the structure. There after, I dare make such a SIN. All my advts would go a through content check.

Going dizzy about my first experience on layouts, designs, design software, almost took a decision to call it my last day at this company. My dad with a pat said,there is a sign that this profile is going to be my future and I need to show lot of attention. He was not Night Shyamalan, but a very sensible man who had come in a hard way in life and knew how to handle me.

Every day began with client servicing, marketing, and layouts..gradually I was thrown into organising an event, which is now popularly called Mylapore festival. My editor just picked up my sense of PR and alliances and cultivated my skills in event Management. Every time I get spanged by my Editor, Raji was always there to mother me. Thanks to him and Raji, who fine tuned my mistakes and grew me up.

My days in Arena, my paper Insert layout design was a cake walk interacting with layout artist talking about size, photo shop, client servicing, yeah!! my dad's 'SIGNS' were right.

Graduating from advertising Manager, to Business development head in Arena Animation Academy, needed just not layouts and photo shop knowledge, but in house counselling techniques, number games, analysis ... Again wanted to take a back seat, thought I would never fit into this role. Each day would start with tuff tuition, a whole lot of exercises to do, and everyday my meeting would start with number games.

My five year journey with the team, was indeed a maturing phase in my career. Web-designing courses was most sought after by students 7 yrs back. To sell a package, I had to learn about color codes, font, 2d animation and all tools that went into making one. Mr. Deepak earlier my client at Mylapore times, and my HOD now, had a real challenge to tune my raw marketing skills to match the profile of a Business Head.

Had, I ever thought that today I would be handling a online portal services for Reliance. My contribution in terms of writing and sourcing content for film portal Bioye and Bigadda is definitely a sign from the past. If I had neglected the signs not learning to make advts, client servicing, alliances, and PR, not sure If my blog would exist today.

Looking back it is really astonishing that my past was holding my future.

Never wanted to recall this day in my life, that all 12 yrs of my learning in layouts, content writing, I had to use it to design my dad's 1st Anniversary Obit Advt. Yet again 'SIGNS' showing this special advt should have my touch.

My family had so much trust in my creativity, and I indeed kept up to their expectations.

Appa! just got lot of appreciation for the content which went in the advt, and I need to really thank all my previous employers who graduated me to this level.

Very confident today, that each day is a good 'SIGN' to my Future.

2 comments:

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

Very interesting post - I like the way you have charted your growth and learning

Suja said...

Hi nandu,

great writeup. as I had already mentioned to you the other night, your way of writing is passionate and so earthy.i am your greatestest fan... cher up and keep writing.

bye suji